Calling all Doctor Who fans! Remember last fall when Eva built her TARDIS (the spaceship from Doctor Who), and we used that project to study math and engineering, circuitry and problem solving, consumer ethics and fine motor skills? Well, this fall, I’m building on the success and fun of that project to offer a semester-length project-based online class called:
(you’re supposed to read that out loud with a false echo for extra drama. “The Wibbly wibbly wibbly wibbly” etc.)
The wonderful folks over at Gifted Homeschoolers Forum are hosting this class and many more that cover everything from website design, Latin, and astrobiology. I’m excited to be among such good company.
The Wibbly-Wobbly, Timey-Wimey, Project-Based Learning Course Course will take students through space and time while they explore English, history, and engineering in three distinct projects:
- Month 1 (English/Filmmaking): Students will create a narrative-based stop-motion film inspired by the series’ beloved characters.
- Month 2 (History/Education): Students will design a history educational unit centered on one episode of the show.
- Months 3 and 4 (Engineering/Problem Solving): Students will focus on a larger engineering project following certain classroom parameters (for example, making the project mobile or having it light up).
This course will require parental assistance, especially in procuring necessary supplies. These supplies should cost under $50, and for some folks the cost will be under $20, depending on how creative you are with upcycled materials.
Though there are particular class requirements to provide course structure, we will also allow for student input and choice whenever feasible. Class time will be used to offer support and problem solve, and email contact with students and the teacher will be available throughout the course. The actual class projects are largely independent; students will need to have the ability to work on their own and meet course deadlines. I expect that students will work on their projects about an hour each day between class meetings.
This class is also a great opportunity to get to know EEME! As part of your supply list, I’m happy to feature EEME’s $11.95 Project Light Link kit that teaches the basics of circuitry. Project Light Link is a self-contained curriculum requiring one-two hours to complete. Students will be expected to work through it on their own apart from the class and to incorporate the completed light unit into their final engineering project.
And now for the nitty-gritty:
- Cost: $245 plus incidental supplies to be purchased by student (between $20 and $50)
- Age Range: 10 and up (but talk to me if your child is 9 and Genuinely Obsessed)
- Class Size: 6-10 students; class will not make if less than 6
- Format: We will meet as a class once per week using Megameeting with ongoing support through email in between class times
- Dates/Times: Wednesdays at 12:00-1:00 pm Pacific/3:00-4:00 pm Eastern. September 1-December 19. Fall Break October 15.
- Register: Register by clicking this link, and then clicking on the Wibbly-Wobbly course. A brief description will pop up with a “register” button at the bottom.
You may also like:
- Share this